Classes in celestial navigation and related topics
Modern Celestial Navigation
This is not your grandparents' celestial navigation! A fast-paced introduction to celestial navigation from a 21st century perspective. In this hands-on workshop, participants will learn how to adjust and use sextants available on the market today. We'll learn streamlined calculations using a common handheld solar-powered calculator. This workshop is designed especially for yachtsmen and recreational boaters. If you're dreaming about a trans-oceanic voyage or a circum-navigation, in this workshop you'll learn all the techniques to determine latitude and longitude anywhere on Earth using the Sun and the brighter stars. Celestial navigation stands as the only autonomous backup to GPS and electronic navigation, and it is a tradition that connects us with maritime history. Weather permitting, class participants will have opportunities to experiment with sextant observations. We'll also learn how to use the Sun and stars as a highly accurate compass, a technique valuable in near-shore waters as well as blue-water sailing. This is real navigation, celestial navigation for the 21st century, not just a class about navigation. Taught by Frank Reed, a gifted teacher and one of the world's leading experts in celestial navigation.
- Mystic Seaport Museum, Mystic, CT. Saturday/Sunday, 10:00am - 4:00pm both days,
(OR evening session 6:00 - 9:00pm each day).
- Requirements: Basic addition and subtraction, good familiarity with latitude and longitude. Some familiarity with basic algebra, especially positive and negative numbers.
- Recommended for ages 18 and up, students as young as age 13 welcome.
- Cost (subject to change): $140 ($125 for members of Mystic Seaport)
- Register for this class by phoning the Reservations desk at Mystic Seaport Museum: 860.572.5322, press 1 at the prompt.
- You'll need to purchase a good "scientific" calculator. The recommended model for the class is the "Casio fx-260 Solar". Widely available for less than $10 at Walmart, Staples, and other stores.
Android users can try my functionally similar app: download sc-beta.apk.
- By email or phone
© Copyright 2016, Frank Reed, Clockwork Mapping, Conanicut Island USA.